Glittery Valentine Gift Bags
size: 6" x 9-1/2"
7" x 10-1/2" white or very light color fabric for front
7" x 10-1/2" valentine print fabric for back
7" x 20" lining fabric
June Tailor® Quilter's Glitter & Sparkle Ink Jet Transfer Sheets
Ribbon or cord for drawstring
Embellishments such as buttons, trims, crystals, etc. (optional)
Use one-half inch seam allowances unless specified otherwise.
1. Place front and back fabrics, right sides together and sew long sides and bottom. Press seams open.
2. Fold lining fabric in half, right sides together, to 7" x 10". Sew long side seams.
3. Turn lining fabric right side out. Place lining inside the bag outer fabric, aligning seams and bottom corners. The right side of the lining should be touching the right side of the bag's outer fabrics. Pin around the top edge.
4. Sew around the top edge of the bag using a 1/4" seam allowance. Leave an unsewn gap of 1-1/2" to turn the bag right sides out.
5. Turn the bag right sides out through the unsewn opening.
6. Push the lining fabric down inside the bag's outer fabrics and press. Pay special attention to turning under and pressing the seam allowance in the unsewn area.
7. Top stitch at the following intervals to form casing: 1/8" from top edge, 1/4" from top edge, 1-1/8" from top edge, 1-1/4" from top edge.
8. Use a seam ripper to pick out the stitches from between the two center casing stitching rows. Only pick the stitches from the outer fabrics.
9. Create images on your computer using clipart, photos and/or text. Size to approximately 4-1/2" square. Following manufacturer's instructions, print images onto June Tailor® Quilter's Glitter & Sparkle transfer sheets using a color ink jet printer. Allow ink to dry and trim around image 1/8" from printed edge. Place transfers on front of bag and press according to manufacturer's instructions.
CAUTION: DO NOT iron directly on the transfers once the backing paper has been removed. The heat of the iron will damage the transfer. If ironing is necessary, cover transfer with baking parchment (available at grocery stores) and allow to cool completely before removing.
10. Cut 20" pieces of ribbon or cording for drawstring. Thread one piece through casing for a single drawstring. Thread two pieces through casing in opposite directions for a double drawstring.
11. Embellish with buttons, trims, crystals, etc. if desired.